As I make the break with academic life, I’ve found it really helpful to read other people’s experiences to inform my own choices and actions. Here is a list of blogs, articles, and other useful information on making the career transition.
- Versatile PhD – website and community dedicated to PhDs in non-academic jobs.
- Post Academic – blog by two PhDs on life post-academia.
- Transitions Q&As – interviews with PhDs on their post-ac careers by Jennifer Polk at her careers website From PhD to Life .
- Beyond Academe – although originally aimed at historians, there’s lots of useful facts, stats, and careers tips for all PhDs.
- Chronicle Vitae – lots of helpful articles and different perspectives on post-academic careers.
- Going Alt-Ac: How to Begin – great article stuffed full of useful info and links.
- Alt-Ac Academy – media commons project on unconventional or alternative careers for people with academic training.
- Every PhD needs a Plan B – article recommending getting experience outside of PhD.
- PhDs at Work – website connecting PhDs across different industries.
- It’s OK to Quit – blog post by Karen Kelsky on her popular website The Professor Is In
- The Pleasures, Pain, and Promise of Sociological Work Outside the Academy – Keith Kahn-Harris on the realities of being a sociologist outside academia.
- What does it mean to be a freelance academic? Katie Rose Pryal on going freelance.
- Confessions of a Professional Blogger – Mirana Marquit blogs regular tips and info on being a freelance writer.
- Freelance Folder – website with loads of useful articles on freelancing.
- Thriving as a Freelancer Academic – interviews with three post-ac freelancers.
- Six Steps for Transitioning from Full-time Employee to Freelancer – by Shaun Quarton.
- Your Freelance Career – lots of excellent content on making it as a freelancer.
This list will be continually added to. If you’ve found any resources particularly useful, please leave a link in the comments box below and I’ll add it to the list.